I want to start this post off with a piece of Dan Rather’s statement on Donald Trump being elected President…Jesus, did I really just type that?
The world is on edge. The country is deeply divided. The markets have gone off a cliff. World capitals are erupting in anxiety. Huge segments of the American public are in panic – going through the shock of grief. This is the world that is now Trump’s to contend with. Do we really know what we have wrought?
This is a conversation that I need you to be a part of. Do not opt out. Your voice matters now more than ever. I will continue to be here in the days and weeks ahead. And we shall endeavor, together, to find a path forward in the best of America’s ideals.
My 16 year old daughter woke up in tears this morning. She was so angry and wished she could have cast a vote. She knows that one vote may not have made a difference, but she would have felt she did her part. To say I’m in a state of shock is an understatement. Did we really just elect this circus master President? Reading Mr. Rather’s statement brings it home. We are a country deeply divided now. Did we move back in time? Did we set back so many things that women, LBGT community, religious communities, people of color and so on….did we just set things back in time? World capitals are erupting in anxiety….and most likely laughing their asses off at us. Queen Elizabeth is reading the morning news and grinning “You shouldn’t have left.” Okay, well that probably isn’t true, but we just elected a man to rule our country who has been quoted saying he gets angry if he gets home from work and his wife doesn’t have dinner on the table.
Speaking of his wife, I have even less confidence in her being the First Lady. I look at the First Lady when I choose my vote too. And all I see is a woman who lied about her education, defended her husbands “locker room talk” and “boys being boys” (chances are my quotes are off there) and who’s career is a model. What does she bring to the table? Michelle Obama was a lawyer. Laura Bush was a teacher and librarian. Hillary Clinton was a lawyer. Barbara Bush worked to advance universal literacy. As First Lady, Michelle Obama became an advocate for poverty awareness, physical activity and nutrition. Laura Bush continued her work in literacy and encourage education on a world wide scale. She also supported women’s causes and focused support on HIV/AIDS and malaria. What will Melania Trump support? I mean at least if Bill Clinton had become First Gentleman, then we know he’d understand the role of that office and do some good with it. I have heavy doubts about what Mrs. Trump will champion.
I did not vote for Mr. Trump. I chose Senator Clinton. As I said in a previous post, I had my doubts about both, but at least with Sen. Clinton, she has the background, she has the history. Mr. Trump has neither. He is promising to bring a country divided back together; but at what cost. He has offended so many with his comments. (from Huffington Post)
- He attacked Muslim Gold Star parents: ““If you look at his wife, she was standing there. She had nothing to say. She probably, maybe she wasn’t allowed to have anything to say. You tell me,” Trump said in an interview with ABC News that first appeared on July 30.”
- “An ‘extremely credible source’ has called my office and told me that Barack Obama’s birth certificate is a fraud”
- Ariana Huffington is unattractive, both inside and out. I fully understand why her former husband left her for a man – he made a good decision.”
- “You know, it really doesn’t matter what the media write as long as you’ve got a young, and beautiful, piece of ass.”
- “I will build a great wall – and nobody builds walls better than me, believe me – and I’ll build them very inexpensively. I will build a great, great wall on our southern border, and I will make Mexico pay for that wall. Mark my words.”
- “When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending the best. They’re not sending you, they’re sending people that have lots of problems and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bring crime. They’re rapists… And some, I assume, are good people.”
- “Our great African-American President hasn’t exactly had a positive impact on the thugs who are so happily and openly destroying Baltimore.”
- “If I were running ‘The View’, I’d fire Rosie O’Donnell. I mean, I’d look at her right in that fat, ugly face of hers, I’d say ‘Rosie, you’re fired.’”
- “All of the women on The Apprentice flirted with me – consciously or unconsciously. That’s to be expected.”
- One of they key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace. Good people don’t go into government.”
- The beauty of me is that I’m very rich.”
- “It’s freezing and snowing in New York – we need global warming!”
- “I’ve said if Ivanka weren’t my daughter, perhaps I’d be dating her.”
- “My fingers are long and beautiful, as, it has been well documented, are various other parts of my body.”
- “I have never seen a thin person drinking Diet Coke.”
- “I think the only difference between me and the other candidates is that I’m more honest and my women are more beautiful.”
- “You’re disgusting.”
- “The point is, you can never be too greedy.”
- “My Twitter has become so powerful that I can actually make my enemies tell the truth.”
- “My IQ is one of the highest — and you all know it! Please don’t feel so stupid or insecure; it’s not your fault.”
- “I have so many fabulous friends who happen to be gay, but I am a traditionalist.”
- “The other candidates — they went in, they didn’t know the air conditioning didn’t work. They sweated like dogs…How are they gonna beat ISIS? I don’t think it’s gonna happen.”
- “Look at those hands, are they small hands? And, [Republican rival Marco Rubio] referred to my hands: ‘If they’re small, something else must be small.’ I guarantee you there’s no problem. I guarantee.”
- “Lyin’ Ted Cruz just used a picture of Melania from a shoot in his ad. Be careful, Lyin’ Ted, or I will spill the beans on your wife!”
- “I was down there, and I watched our police and our firemen, down on 7-Eleven, down at the World Trade Center, right after it came down”
- “The only card [Hillary Clinton] has is the woman’s card. She’s got nothing else to offer and frankly, if Hillary Clinton were a man, I don’t think she’d get 5 percent of the vote. The only thing she’s got going is the woman’s card, and the beautiful thing is, women don’t like her.”
- “Number one, I have great respect for women. I was the one that really broke the glass ceiling on behalf of women, more than anybody in the construction industry.”“I’m just thinking to myself right now, we should just cancel the election and just give it to Trump, right” I think we basically just did hand it to him.